In an earlier post I looked at how to add Google Analytics tracking to your site so that you can start getting some information about how many people are visiting your site and what they are doing there.
Google Analytics gives you loads of information, which is great, but how can you tell if the your stats are good or bad? The answer to this is benchmarking.
If you add benchmarking to your stats profile you can compare your site to other sites of a similar size and within a similar market, find out how successful your site is and where you need to do more work.
How to add benchmarking
- To add bench marking you go to your account and click on 'Edit account settings'
- Then enable 'Share my Google Analytics data' and click 'Save Changes'. Al, your data will be anonymous, so you don't need to worry too much.
- Once you have done this go back to your dashboard click on 'Visitors' and then select 'Benchmarking'
- You can then see a range of different stats with your site compared to others of similar size.
- If you want to compare with sites that are in a similar field or industry, then click on 'Open category list' and select a category. Unfortunately there isn't an education section , but you could try comparing to various sciences.
- As I said this information can be really useful as it can show you where your site is strong and where you need to make improvements. Google analytics can give you an incredible range of detailed information, but don't get too worried about digging to deep. Just start by looking at where you are doing well (The green percentages tell you this)
- And where you could think about making improvements (The red percentage rates will show you this)
How about you?
- How do you measure the success of your site?
- What tools do you use?
- Which areas do you think you need to improve?
Please feel free to leave a comment and share your experience.