On Blogging and Social Media

To help educators get started with social media and blogging

Friday, June 4, 2010

Knowledge sharing with Slinkset widgets

Posted by Nik Peachey

A few months back I wrote an article about creating your broadcast network to feed information to your PLN. In the article I included a section on a tool called Slinkset which I used to create my Technogogy news portal, which I use to share information and links to informative articles about education, technology and ELT.


Recently, I have discovered a new feature of Slinkset that automatically creates a widget that other blog or website managers can add to their site to aggregate and share the content of your portal.


I think this is a great feature and one that can really extend the reach of the information you are sharing beyond your immediate network.

The widget is very easy to install. You just need to direct web managers or bloggers to the relevant link on your portal. Here's the link to mine: http://technogogy.slinkset.com/widgets

On the widget page they will see what the widget looks like and and a simple piece of code that they can copy and paste into the side bar of their blog or the html of their site.

The links in the widget go directly to the source, in my case the articles I’m recommending, so you aren’t ‘stealing’ anyone’s traffic and the links are updated whenever you up date the links in your portal.

By all means take the code to my widget and try it out if you have a network that is interested in education, technology and ELT, or create your own Slinkset portal. It’s very simple to do and once you have it set up it takes about 2 mins to add a link to each article as you find it.

How about you?

  • What tools do you use to share knowledge?
  • Do you keep and share bookmarks?
Do please post a comment or question.

0 comments:

Post a Comment